Sunday, October 31, 2010

Module IV: Volcanoes, Earthquakes and Tsunami, Oh, My!

by,  Kris Owens

Explain: What new learning have you taken from this module?
Two new pieces of learning  for me this week was in the technology aspect of this course.  The first was how to properly put links in my blog entries!  The second was how to use the measuring tool in Google Earth. I am confused about how to take a screen shot though!


It was also fun to learn about a unit of measurment I had never heard of called the smoot.  If ever I find myself in  Boston, I will be sure to check out the Harvard bridge. 


New information about the Earth's geology was revealed to me as I explored the chain of volcanoes extending from the Hawaiian Islands to the tip of the Aleutian chain.  I realized I had never been aware of this geological feature connecting Alaska and Hawaii.

The tsunami section of this module filled in many blanks in terms of Lituya Bay and the tsunamis that have occured there. Learning about the Fairweather Fault Trench and the massive rockfall caused by an earthquake, helped me to understand what generates the massive waves that have occurred in this bay.

As I located this bay with Google Earth, it became clear that I had somehow had it geographily misplaced in my mind. I was suprised to find out that it is in Southeast Alaska. An interesting link that I discovered as I explored this topic further can be found at 
geology.com .  It is loaded with maps, photos, and first-hand accounts of the 1958 tsunami.

Extend: How can/will you use this week’s resources and/or others in your community in your lessons?

One of our themes at Fireweed Academy (the school where I teach) is "change." In science, we focus on our changing earth. Students are introduced to plate tectonics, volcanoes, earthquakes, the ring of fire, and cultural connections. Many of the resources used in this module will enrich these lessons greatly.


Evaluate: How useful, insightful or relevant are this module’s information and resources for you?

This module 's information and resources are very useful and relevant for me. Being able to use Google Earth in new ways, will help me to guide my students towards increased information about our planet, as well as the Google Earth program. We have previously used the feature showing earthquakes and volcanic eruptions, and had explored the Aleutian Trench. However, I had not thought about using it to explore other geological features such as the Fairweather fault trench and the Hawaii Island/Emperor Seamount chain.

During our studies of our changing earth,  major events such as the Lituya Bay tsunamis usually come up. It is great to have additional resources about this event, and a better background in what caused these events. Another major event of the 20th century that we investigate, is the eruption of Novarupta in 1912.  It is considered to be the greatest volcanic eruption of the 20th century. This is an event that many people haven't heard of, and is always interesting for   students to learn about. Information about this volcano and eruption can be found at the
Alaska Volcano Observatory  website.  The photo below is from Novarupta - NASA Science, another great source for information. 




Three colleagues -


Cheryl :  I especially enjoyed Cheryl's entry for module III and the picture of her father standing in the crack created by the 1964 earthquake.

Michelle:  The road leading out to Hoonah's Icy Point looks like a great place to explore. I am curious about it's history. Was the tunnel originally for a road? Why and when was it turned into a road?


Alison:  Like Alison, I also enjoyed learning about the smoot unit of measurement. Another interesting blog to check out talks about the smoot, and other unusual units of what the author calls "folk measurment."  See - The Mickey, the Smoot, and Other Unusual Units of Measurement

2 comments:

  1. I thought I knew a lot about volcanic eruptions in Alaska, but was also not familiar with the Novarupta eruption. It was huge and not many people know about it - what a great one to share with students.

    In my 9th grade science class, we talk about units of measurement. One of the labs is to have them come up with a unit of measure and measure things around the school with it. The funniest one they came up with was a "Joe." Joe was a student in class and they stood him next to things to see how many "Joe's" long, tall, etc. things were! We ended up referring to "Joe's" all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah us! I also learned how to make a link in my blog this week. I must say I was amazed at how easy it really was. I am also having trouble getting my screen shots from Google Earth to show. Maybe that will be our accomplishment next week.

    ReplyDelete